We recognize donors who make an annual contribution of at least $10,000 to United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County as members of the Alexis de Tocqueville Society.
BACKGROUND OF TOCQUEVILLE SOCIETY
Created in 1998, the Alexis de Tocqueville Society of United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County involves community leaders with a commitment to philanthropy as a lifetime mission.
As a Tocqueville member, you have the opportunity to support our community United Way and other local, national and international programs and issues important to you.
Alexis de Tocqueville was born in Paris, France more than a century ago. At just 26 years old, he accepted a commission to study the prisons and penitentiaries of our United States of America. His journey provided him with material for his thorough study of American society and politics, “Democracy in America.” The first part of this work appeared in 1835, followed by a second volume in 1840. Combined, these won de Tocqueville a European reputation as an ardent reformer and earned him a seat in the French Academy.
United Way Worldwide’s Alexis de Tocqueville Society is so named, in part, because of his observation of the uniquely American concept of coming to the aid of our fellow-man. This descriptive quote from Democracy of America is often cited “As soon as individuals with a cause have found one another out, they combine. From that moment, they are no longer isolated people, but a power seen from afar, whose actions serve as an example and whose language is listened to.”
REQUIREMENTS & BENEFITS OF TOCQUEVILLE MEMBERSHIP
• Annual Contribution: Donate at least $10,000 to or through United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County. United Way must retain a minimum of $2,500 to support our Community Impact Fund.
• Personal Investment: You may disburse your remaining investment ($7,500) at your discretion, to provide financial support to other causes and issues that are important to you.
• Recognition: United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County will recognize you in our local Leadership Giving publication.
• Participation: As a Tocqueville member, we encourage you to attend annual membership events including a Fall Reception and the Humanitarian Award Reception, as well as our campaign kick-offs and celebration breakfasts and other events throughout the year.
• Impact: Your gift of at least $10,000 annually is fully tax-deductible, will have the greatest impact in our community, and will be used to help create positive change.
Learn more about the Tocqueville Society: